Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Surface grinders

Steve Ackman wrote:

Well, when you work with hard things, you have to grind. Nice tools to have but I'd
concentrate on lathe and mill first.

If you do get a Surface grinder, keep it away from your lathe and mill. Grinders tend to
launch a lot of grinding dust into the air that gets carried around a small shop.

All the surface grinders I can recall using had
coolant. Matter of fact, where I went though my
apprenticeship, only the mud produced by a grinding
machine was "swarf." Pretty much any other machine
made "chips."

I've seen the effects of a Harrig 618 placed too close to a lathe. Grinder was always run
with coolant but an astonishing amount of abrasive crud made its way to the lathe. Sure
made me feel sick to see that nice Leblonde being treated that way. During my nightly
walk around, I wiped the lathe down to help save it.

It and and the rest of the machine tools were moved a while back to another area of the
shop, much better layout, maybe the lathe will live a long life now.

Wes

Wes