Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice on thin wall with high insulation for shaded side of proposedconservatory

tonyjeffs wrote:
I intend to build a uPVC conservatory onto the back of the rear living
room of our semi. It needs planning permission because it is 4m deep.

One side wall of the conservatory will be adjacant to the 7' high
party-wall wall that runs the length of the garden, so it won't get
any sun and if I use a standard uPVC panel it will lose a lot of
heat. If I build a cavity brick/block wall instead, it'll solve the
insulation problem and satisfy Planning , but it would make the
conservatory considerably narrower.

Is there a thin walling material, maybe 3" thick, that has high
insulation properties, and that might satisfy planning, that I could
use instead?

Does it have to be structural?

Probably the easiest thing to knock up would be 6x4 timber on a twin
brick foundation.., with ply outside, and the building paper, battens,
metal lath and render. Or use weatherboard over. Then infill with
rockwool or kingspan and plasterboard over.

Thanks

Tony