Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Stroud Simon Stroud is offline

Default B&Q LED GU10 bulbs

"Brian Whitehead" wrote in message
On 25 Oct, 10:13, "Stephen Barnes" # wrote:
Hi,

Saw a pack of 4 LED GU10 bulbs in B&Q Peterborough for a tenner. The box
seems to imply they equivalent to 35W. Has anyone tried them? I got some

.. 9W CFL GU10s last month off ebay and was not impressed, are LEDs any
better?

Steve

They are bloody horrible, IMO. I bought some about 6 months ago, and
took them back almost immediately. The light they produce is an
unwordly blue/white light which makes you feel queasy. I replaced
them with 9W CFL GU10s which have been fine so far.

Hmmm ... I haven't had much luck with the CFL GU10s.

A couple of years ago I bought some "Pro Lite" ones from CPC. They lasted a
couple of days in the kitchen (previously 5x50W GU10s) before SWMBO made me
remove them. So they are in my study now. Horrible things - take AGES to
light up.

A couple of weeks ago I thought Things Must Have Improved so I ordered
another set of 5 from CPC - 11W ones this time. Just over £10 each. They did
seem brighter than the last lot but still inadequate for the kitchen so I
bunged them in my boy's light (4x50W GU10s normally). He does like leaving
it on for hours and hours so I thought this could save a bit of doh.

One failed within a week. I sent that back for a replacement. BUT the
evening after I sent it off, another failed. So I got them to refund the
whole sodding lot. Incidentally they all seemed to have a rather nasty
burning smell this time - maybe related to the quick failure.

Will give it a few more years!

Incidentally this latest lot were also "Pro Lite". I haven't tried the
Megaman ones (mainly because CPC don't stock the full range) but maybe they
are better? At around £10 per bulb it's an expensive experiment each time.

BTW there's something about this part of this thread that stops Outlook
Express auto-indenting the original message. I had to hand add the ""s.

Regards,
Simon.