Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Dehumidifier recommendation?

On Oct 25, 11:48*am, Lee B wrote:
Me again - mold lady, still deciding what to do about the mold
discovered in the finished basement of the house I'm selling.

No matter what I do I know I need to keep the basement from smelling
suspicious. With the house being vacant, the A/C and heater don't come
on as often, so it does develop a musty smell. One problem is the sump
pump which probably has water in it, but not enough to trigger it to
empty. I have an antique dehumidifier that I inherited (one remediator
said "oh I see you have your 1942 dehumidifier"). Apparently the newer
ones have better features.

I need one that I'm comfortable leaving on unattended in the vacant
house. And it needs a defroster or something, so that when it gets
cooler in the basement it doesn't frost over, or it at least needs to
function at lower temps, which apparently some of them do now. A timer
would be nice so that it would run a few hr a day, although I suppose I
could buy a timer to plug it into. I'll probably sit it in the shower
stall in the basement (how attractive is that!) and run an extension
cord to it. Or if I could find one that actually pumps water uphill, I
could have it empty into the washing machine's stand pipe, or the sink
in the wetbar.

If anyone has done any research on this, I'd appreciate hearing it. Oh
and I don't want to spend a fortune, since my current house doesn't even
have a basement, although I guess I could include it with the house as
an incentive (yeah, that would bed a good selling point). Seriously,
most people I know around here have dehumidifiers in their basements, so
I don't think people would think a whole lot of it. (I just wish I
hadn't let the realtor talk me into unplugging it and hiding it when I
was showing the house, even if it was ugly; I think that musty smell is
what prompted the people to ask for the mold test).

Thanks.

If you have mold, water is leaking in, its not the absence of heat as
I have a non moldy place unheated. Get a unit that runs at low temps,
most freeze at 65f -67f some can run to 40f. Forget a timer,
dehumidifier may not reset, mine has a timer-daily cycle, a sears.
dont put it in the shower there is no air circulation put it in the
room and run a drain hose to shower. Who knows about brands, all are
made in China and are crap as i see it, One year Sears is good, next
year a different china manufacturer gives them junk. My old sears is
fine the newer one lasted 6 months. You need a good warranty and
return policy.