Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Political signs

Nate Nagel wrote in
:

HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Do you believe in WRITTEN LAW?

your hero Bush doesn't, and that's a demonstrated fact.

If this were the late 1700's he would have been tried and convicted
of treason by now.

You keep saying that, but you haven't given an example of how Bush
has violated the Constitution.

If you hold, as I suspect, that the treatment of prisoners at
Guantanamo is an example, I suggest you and others who hold similar
beliefs are wrong.

The prisoners at Gitmo are not criminals. As such, they are entitled
to NONE of the Constitutional protections afforded by the
Constitutions (i.e., "In all criminal proceedings..."). They are
unlawful enemy combatants. Here are some interesting facts about
unlawful enemy combatants:

* They include saboteurs, spys, guerrillas, fifth-columnists, and
similar. * No Geneva convention or protocol has procedures for
dealing with them. How they are handled is completely up to the
belligerents involved. * The president may designate anyone, even
you, as an unlawful enemy combatant and this designation cannot be
gainsaid by legislative action or court intervention.
* Under the normal rules of warfare, UECs may be taken out and
summarily shot.
* Our first UEC was Major Andre, caught behind our lines, wearing our
uniform. George Washington ordered him hanged.

Now many on the left WANT UECs treated as criminals. That is, the
folks at Gitmo, according to many on the left, should get lawyers,
speedy trials, etc. This is like saying cancer victims should be
treated as criminals, or members of a junior high soccer team, or
vegetarians. UECs are not criminals and they don't get treated like
criminals.

By your standards the founding fathers were UECs then. People
defending their own land from oppression (as they see it.)

it all depends on who wins and gets to write the history.

you keep bringing out this "moral equivalence" nonsense.

I also submit warrantless wiretapping and Cheney's "unique"
interpretation of the status of the Vice Presidency as examples of
blatant disregard for the rule of law.

and you would be wrong.

The scary thing is that I
suspect it will take years if not decades to discover just what all
this administration has done that we don't know about yet.

nate

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik