Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Microwave turntable direction

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:52:11 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

It's so your food will cook more evenly. Many directions are to
microwave for a few minutes, open and stir contents, then
continue a few more minutes. It's more thorough to run the food
past the microwaves in both directions.

No, it's not. It shouldn't make any difference, as the food is subjected to
the same "pattern" regardless of which way the table turns.

Likewise, it makes no difference whether you roast meat on a spit CW
one time, CCW the next. Neither does it matter in which direction you
stir your coffee, or how you turn your sausages on a barbecue grill,
or whether you flip your pancakes from left to right or right to left.

My guess is that it's to even out the wear.

Agreed, the wear in the gearbox would be evened out, but the bearings
wouldn't know the difference.

BTW I'm right handed, but I sometimes use my left hand to even out the
wear. :-)

- Franc Zabkar