View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Sony gurus?......Sony 65xbr10w circa 2000/1 & 720p'support'...........

Hello, have one of these sets....continues to perform very well, currently
running a couple HD sources @ 1080i via component: Motorola 6416 and Playstation3.

This set has one HD component input ( i guess it can be set up as either
'YPbPr' or 'RGB-HV' in a 3 or 5 RCA jack scenario.....only used the former in this setup)
The published 'native resolution' of set is 480p/1080i via component input.....iirc it also has a scaler
that will take 480i on these inputs & up to either 960i or 480p (iirc you could toggle this in service menu).
Currently set to 480i-480p.

The literature also states 'the set will receive 720p signals' but 'some 720p signals may not display properly'
and 'in which case you should revert to 480p/1080i'.

The issue is this, the PS3, when set to output @ 720p must qualify as 'some signals may not display properly'.
Supposing a native 720p game title is qeued up in PS3, 720p output is set, 720p green icon in lower left of screen, check,
but, the screen image seems to 'advance vertically in small jumps'...ie it jumps vertically, perhaps with a 1 second timing,
maybe only a few lines at a time, six times, then it jumps back down all at once & repeats the process of six small jumps up &
a large one back. The image otherwise appears very high quality & stable.

My question is could there be a service menu tweak somewhere that may cure this somehow?.....it's like we are 95% the way to 720p
but there is some sort of sync issue with 720 scan rates or something vs the Ps3 output & set input. The actual overriding issue is
there are a whole host of 720p native Ps3 tiles that don't scale to 1080i/p.....if you have an older set w/o 720p...then it's 480p
unfortunately.

Any suggestions are most appreciated, thx for reading.

rgds.