Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_4_] Bruce L. Bergman[_4_] is offline

Default Making whistles, still...

On 27 Oct 2008 16:13:08 GMT, steamer wrote:
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

You've got to shorten up the slack tubing between the solenoid
valves and the whistles a LOT, or I'm betting it will sound funny...

--I made a point to keep all tubing lengths identical, which at
least makes all lag-times equal.

If that was your test, it sounds okay.

SMC makes some interesting digital pressure regulators that could
regulate the manifold pressure and handle the swell duties. Wonder if
they can handle steam...?

--Good to know; thanks!

Disney Imagineering cheated, and repurposed an off-the-shelf part
for an off-the-wall use - they used it as a computer-controlled air
brake valve on the Rocket Rods - Self-diagnostic with feedback.

I saw it under there - the little display rolled up and down on
actuation and release in the station - and busted out laughing.

Actually the next iteration will use all
stainless explosion-proof valves because the goal is to run it on propane,
not steam, bwahaha.

Better hurry - Halloween's almost here, and I'll pay a quarter to
see that... J.S. Bach: Toccata and Fugue in Dm, of course!

You'll need a length of steel brake tubing and a #60-ish and #40-ish
drill bits - bend the tubing to the contour of the whistle tops, put
the #40 in front of each pipe mouth, and two or three #60 holes in
between for propagation - Pilot Light bar.

Extra credit for putting a thermocouple pilot at the bottom end and
hooking it up to a Penn/Baso Safety to shut the whole thing down if
the pilot system blows out.

-- Bruce --