Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Stroud Simon Stroud is offline

Default Sundeala board - supplier in NW

"Norman Billingham" norman.at.tumulus.org.uk wrote in message

"petek" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a supplier of Sundeala board near Chorley in
Lancashire? I want it for a model railway baseboard for my grandson.
Some model shops have it in 1200 x 600 sheets but ideally I want a
sheet 1500 x 1000, or larger to cut down.

I understand Sundeala is a brand name. Is there a generic name or an
equivalent board that may be more readily available?

Haven't seen Sundeala for a long time but its certainly a lot softer than
MDF and often used for pinboards etc.

Lasttime I wanted some I settled for a generic "insulation board" from
Travis Perkins. Slightly rough surface, white painted on one side and
softer than Sundeala but it did the job.

The Sundeala web site has quite a long list of suppliers

Not sure where/if they make it now, but the old Sundelea factory (in
Sunbury) was right next door to my office. From time to time something would
go wrong with their chimneys/filters/whatever and the whole carpark (and out
lungs presumably) would be covered with a thin layer of whatever they make
the stuff out of. Nice.

It was all demolished a while ago and the site now has a selection of flats
and the Sunbury Travelodge. Presumably they still have a factory somewhere.

Regards,
Simon.