Posted to alt.video.vcr,sci.electronics.repair
Travis Evans[_3_] Travis Evans[_3_] is offline

Default Understanding timer program recording on old Sears VCR

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:41:06 -0000, Peter Hucker wrote:
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 03:19:53 -0000, James wrote:

I've got this Sears VCR, probably 80's vintage that has a timer
program function. You set the program via the onscreen display, up to
4 programs. However, to activate it, you push a slider that puts the
VCR into a dormant mode until the appointed time.

If anyone's familiar with this kind of functionality, how are you
supposed to record future events if you have to work this slider to
make the recording happen and essentially renter the VCR useless for
anything else in the meanwhile? The whole thing seems cotingent on
your remembering when you set the programs for.

Thanks for all insight.

Errr... you've just described every single VCR I've ever known.
Except it's not usually a slider nowadays, it's called "timer rec
mode". Some you just have to switch off. It's to prevent it
recording stuff over a tape you were just playing. You're to tell it
that you've now put the recording tape in.

My newer VCRs don't even require that. They will happily record over
the tape you were just playing right after you press Stop when it's time
for a timer recording. That's not a very nice €śfeature€ť at all.

--
Travis Evans
[Obtain email address by removing all Q's.]