Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Transmission design

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

Try the Gates Rubber website. I think it's www.gates.com. They have
excellent downloadable PDF catalogs with good engineering sections.
You have to register first. There is also a downloadable belt drive
design application that does center distance, horsepower capability,
belt type selection, pulley selection, etc. It's Design Flex Pro. I
used it about two weeks ago. Works very well. You get a PDF report
with part numbers for output.

I tried it, thanks. I also tried the Maska program of similar nature. The
gates program is way better but even that one leaves more questions than
answers. Why are all my transmissions "overdesigned"? Why keep asking me to
consider a different belt cross-section when I ticked almost all v-belts?
And so on.

In the end cheerful ignorance will probably be a bliss. It will either work
with the parts available or it will not. In which case I shall try something
else.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC