Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Political signs

Nate Nagel wrote:

Do you believe in WRITTEN LAW?

your hero Bush doesn't, and that's a demonstrated fact.

If this were the late 1700's he would have been tried and convicted of
treason by now.

You keep saying that, but you haven't given an example of how Bush has
violated the Constitution.

If you hold, as I suspect, that the treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo is
an example, I suggest you and others who hold similar beliefs are wrong.

The prisoners at Gitmo are not criminals. As such, they are entitled to NONE
of the Constitutional protections afforded by the Constitutions (i.e., "In
all criminal proceedings..."). They are unlawful enemy combatants. Here are
some interesting facts about unlawful enemy combatants:

* They include saboteurs, spys, guerrillas, fifth-columnists, and similar.
* No Geneva convention or protocol has procedures for dealing with them. How
they are handled is completely up to the belligerents involved.
* The president may designate anyone, even you, as an unlawful enemy
combatant and this designation cannot be gainsaid by legislative action or
court intervention.
* Under the normal rules of warfare, UECs may be taken out and summarily
shot.
* Our first UEC was Major Andre, caught behind our lines, wearing our
uniform. George Washington ordered him hanged.

Now many on the left WANT UECs treated as criminals. That is, the folks at
Gitmo, according to many on the left, should get lawyers, speedy trials,
etc. This is like saying cancer victims should be treated as criminals, or
members of a junior high soccer team, or vegetarians. UECs are not criminals
and they don't get treated like criminals.