Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default backstab outlets

George wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
But you forgot the cause and effect. Big Box came along and told us
the only thing we want is cheap, cheap, cheap and they delivered on
the promise. Some call it the Walmart syndrome. Give most people a
choice between quality at a fair price and cheap, cheap, cheap and
most will pick cheap. So we get what we have been trained by big box
to want.

There are thirty companies whose stock makes up the Dow-Jones
Industrial Average. Of these, 29 are down. Some WAY down (GE from
$41 to $17, 3M from $89 to $59, GM from $40 to $4, H-P from $53 to
$30). The only one that's up? Walmart. (WMT from $42 to $50).

You seem to have just proved my point.

But that's good!

Sometimes cheap is better, sometimes not. If the only difference between a
gallon of milk or a bag of chips is the price, well, why not?

Here's what I bought at my last trip to Walmart:
* A package of 8 foam brushes
* A gallon of Kilz paint
* A package of picture-hanging hooks
* A package of house-brand Kool-Aid (I don't want to be accused of being a
Kool-Aid drinker)
* A package of teeny Snickers bars in anticipation of Halloween. This
doesn't really count because I ate them all.

Here's another thought: If you can't tell the difference between quality,
good enough, and junk, then you should shop at stores that make the decision
for you.

Those that want quality only, but can't tell the difference, may very well
shop at Graingers.
Those that will settle for mostly good enough, will probably go to Walmart,
or a box store.
Those that knowingly want junk (because of the price) hang out at the dollar
stores (Wonder if the dollar-store has made-in-Mexico Snickers bars? Good
enough for Halloween.)