Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default more pointless twaddle about toaster-ovens...

Buying a new toaster oven was a minor learning experience.

Once upon a time, a toaster oven worked like a toaster -- you pushed down on
a lever to start the toasting cycle. This feature now exists only on
toaster-only toasters. Most toaster ovens now have a timer, marked with
various degrees of darkness.

And the controls now apply to everything the toaster-oven does -- one knob
sets the temperature (there are specific toaster and broiler settings),
another the operating mode (warm, bake, toast, broil), and a third the
timer. This takes a moment to get used to, but it's neither illogical nor
fundamentally confusing.

I was about to buy a B&D TRO964 ($30 at Fred Meyer), when I noticed that the
timer could not be turned backwards. So you couldn't reduce the toasting
time (if you've a mind to). I also did not like the all-metal construction;
it's too easy to burn yourself.

So I kept looking, and in tar-GET (soft g), I found another $30 B&D, the
TRO490, which was similar, but had a reversible timer and a curved (!)
window. (I wouldn't be surprised if tar-GET were the only store carrying
that particular model.) So I bought that.

How long will it last? Who knows? I'll report back in 20 years.