Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Boiler flue - slightly upwards

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:59:07 -0700, matthew.larkin wrote:

I've just had a new WB greenstar 30CDi fitted, which I'm pleased with
in terms of operation.

There's just one part of the installation which I've noticed looks a
little odd to me - the flue on the outside appears to be ever so
slightly inclined upwards - probably no more than 5 degrees off
horizontal in truth.

Should I be concerned? Or is this the way it should be? I'm
imagining that some rainwater could come through there, but I also
imagine that the flue is designed to handle some condensation in there
so water ingress ought not to be a problem.

I will obviously get the bloke back if it isn't right, but he could
just tell me that's the way its supposed to be, and I'd not be able to
contradict him. So I'd like some guidance first if possible.

If you were to Read The Friendly Manual (which came with the boiler[1])
you'll see it instructs the installer to position the flue so it slopes
back to the boiler at an angle of about 3 degrees, so that condensation in
the flue runs back into the boiler and is collected with the the
condensate produced in the boiler itself and is discharged into the
condensate waste instead of dripping out of the flue onto whatever lies
below.

[1] if your installer hasn't left the boiler and flue installation
manuals with you *then* get him back.

--
John Stumbles

My other sigs are posh