David W.E. Roberts

Default Burying gas and electric services in concrete.

Hi,

Having just passed the BCO inspection for my new drains I am about to fill
up the trench in my drive with concrete.

When digging it out I unearthed (unconcreted) the gas and electricity
supplies.

Quite fun really, seeing the gas main appear about 5mm from the tip of the
concrete breaker.......

I am now going to re-bury them and wondered if there was anything special I
should do when encasing them in concrete.

For instance I could put some plastic pipe around them so the next poor
sucker has a bit more warning.

I could wrap them in plastic to keep the new raw concrete away from them.

I intend to write in the new concrete warning where the mains are.

The gas pipe especially has a bitumen-ish covering over metal, and some of
this has come away with the removal of the old concrete.

Should I paint the pipe with a bitumen sealant to protect the metal, or
should it be O.K.?

Looked in my DIY manual but the chapter on digging up and reburying gas
mains seems to have been missed out :-)

TIA
Dave R