Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default backstab outlets

Claude Hopper wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie
Do you have a real electrical supply convenient to you? not a
hardware store or big box. They will know what you're talking about.
BTW you are looking for a "back wire" not "backstab" receptacle.

back wire = good; has the little clamps under the screws to hold a
straight wire in

backstab = teh suck

side wire = good, but you have to loop the wires around the screws.

nate

You forgot to mention that you can't trust backstab
outlets, they're real weasels. I don't like working
around them.

TDD

That's only because Americans make crap. They could be made better and
work properly.

But you forgot the cause and effect. Big Box came along and told us the
only thing we want is cheap, cheap, cheap and they delivered on the
promise. Some call it the Walmart syndrome. Give most people a choice
between quality at a fair price and cheap, cheap, cheap and most will
pick cheap. So we get what we have been trained by big box to want.