Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chewbacca[_2_] Chewbacca[_2_] is offline

Default Alcoholic discussion - ac versus dc motors

dennis@home wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

I think most electric mowers are universal motors (i.e. with
brushes and a commutator). Certainly they were 8 years ago
when I last bought one -- I had to go some way off the beaten
track to find an induction motor mower. I've bought two over
the years -- I think they're both German but different makes
(both still working fine, although I've had to replace the
run capacitor in the 15 year old one).

IIRC qualcast use induction motors even in the little rotary mowers.

My Honda electric mower - about 15 years old with a rust free plastic
deck has an induction motor. I want it to break as my wife that likes
it will let me buy a petrol mower, but it just keeps on going...........