Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grumpy Grumpy is offline

Default Snob appeal pecking order of milling machines

Snip

As soon as the forklift's back in business I intend to simply
cut a hole in the back wall and shove it through. I will frame up the
hole and put in a door. V

Cut a 4' long 2x4 diagonally to give two triangles. Nail 3/4" ply to the
top
of the triangles with an overlap at the pointy end of the triangles. Use a
belt sander, plane or planer to chamfer the end of the ply to match the
underside of the triangles. Rest the thick end of the construction on a
bit of
1" scrap (ply offcuts) and push or pull the mill up the ramp you have just
made. 650lb is quite manageable on rollers with a gentle ramp. If age and
infirmity (or common sense) require more control, use a rope from the
mill,
around a solid post beyond the threshold and back to you to belay the mill
whilst you lever it forward on the rollers.

You absolutely have to have a forklift for that sort of job.

No. The only things you ABSOLUTELY need when moving heavy equipment is
patience, rollers blocks and a long crowbar. The most important of these is
patience. Take it slow and careful, and you can move nearly anything.