Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Low voltage lights.

In message , Graham.
writes

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ex/Lighting_Do
wnlights_Index/Lighting_Transformers/index.html

They call them electronic transformers and the 'proper' transformers
toroidal - which is actually a type of transformer. I've seen low
voltage lighting true transformers which weren't toroidal.

But it makes some sense to call them all transformers because they do
the same job. And most won't be interested in any differences
internally.

True, but many will not realise that much of the control circuitry of an
SMPS is at mains potential, so represents an unexpected hazard.

Higher than mains potential. The mains is first bridge rectified and
applied to a reservoir capacitor. From then on it's a DC/DC inverter.

Is 300v AC more lethal than 240v AC? Logic would dictate it was,
but I am wondering if there are other factors to conceder, like the
ability of muscles to let go, AC vs DC.

So, would you like to run over your last paragraph again ?

well, most of it

--
geoff