Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Anyone know if the HD tv signal will be stronger?

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:18:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[snip]

That's not true. One of the biggest advantages of any digital
transmission is that it can tolerate much higher levels of noise and
still deliver a perfect signal. On the receiving end the system only
needs to determine if a "1" or a "0" has been received, the absolute
value of the signal level doesn't effect the data. Hence, you can
tolerate a lot of noise, still be able to determine which of the two
it is, and recover the signal.

That applies to individual bits, not to the picture as a whole. It
takes multiple bits, you may receive some but not others.

It is true that if the signal is poor enough instead of seeing a
crappy picture that you might have had with analog, you'll get no
picture.

Or you'll get a crappy picture. I see a lot of that here, especially
when the antenna needs to be adjusted.

But for the vast majority of people receiving via OTA,
that is an acceptable tradeoff.

I get better pictures (with digital TV) on the channels I can get OTA.

[snip]

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."