Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Snob appeal pecking order of milling machines

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:04:55 -0700 (PDT), Vernon wrote:

We would love to be able to machine small engines although, given our
skill level (zero) that seems like a laughably unrealistic ambition.
I see your point about "going down stairs". We're still struggling to
get a 650# bench mill / drill over a 6" threshold. But that's only
because I'm old and wimpy and my forklift has gone kaput. We are
starting our machine shop in a back room of a farm house (cement
floor). As soon as the forklift's back in business I intend to simply
cut a hole in the back wall and shove it through. I will frame up the
hole and put in a door. V

Cut a 4' long 2x4 diagonally to give two triangles. Nail 3/4" ply to the top
of the triangles with an overlap at the pointy end of the triangles. Use a
belt sander, plane or planer to chamfer the end of the ply to match the
underside of the triangles. Rest the thick end of the construction on a bit of
1" scrap (ply offcuts) and push or pull the mill up the ramp you have just
made. 650lb is quite manageable on rollers with a gentle ramp. If age and
infirmity (or common sense) require more control, use a rope from the mill,
around a solid post beyond the threshold and back to you to belay the mill
whilst you lever it forward on the rollers.

You absolutely have to have a forklift for that sort of job.

regards
Mark Rand
RTFM