Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Bare metal treatments

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
I want to do some projects involving leaving metal bare. But, I do want to
heat it up to get some rainbow effects, as well as some other discoloration
techniques to get various effects.

Two questions ........ one, what can I use to discolor steel, both in
chemicals and heating effects, and ...... two, what type of a clearcoat
do I use to seal it against further rust or discoloration?

I'll have to repaint probably every two to three years, as there is a
sandblasting effect with local wind and sand.

Coloring and patination effects appreciated. Share your secrets.

1) Coloring/patination - heating alone produces interesting effects -
totally unpredictable. To darken steel I use Birchwood Casey's Gun Blue
paste - I like it better than the liquid. I have coated steel with copper by
just painting it with acidified Copper Sulphate - I am in the process of
getting an electro-plating system together. There is always rust! I got a
pretty even brown coating by *really* cleaning the sanded steel and applying
lemon juice - it happens literally before your eyes.

2) Protection - I have used Future Acrylic Floor coating. It is very
resistant and does not discolour (has not so far!). One problem is that it
sometimes screws up the patina and you have to know how it is going to react
with *your* surface treatment. Advantage is that it dries quickly and is
non-toxic.

For everything else I like Penetrol. Note: Unless the ambient temperature is
warm, it may take 2 days to dry completely.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC