Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Wheaton Stuart Wheaton is offline

Default Magic toolbox

Jim Stewart wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:51:15 -0800, the renowned "SteveB"
toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

If you were going to a foreign place, what extra specialty tools
would you take? I know it would depend on what you were to work on,
but I'm talking specialty items that one needs just every so often

Things like .......... continuity tester. Pair of Klein dikes. 3/8"
drive Allen heads. psi gauge. stuff like that

Just a little aside-- it's often a bad idea to carry tools to a
foreign place unless you have a work visa, as the ferrin immigration
folks might assume you intend to actually do some work there, which
could cause some hassles.

Yup. If you must carry tools, choose your words
carefully when going through customs and immigration.
You're going to use them to service your company's
equipment, which nobody else can do, and to train
the local maintenance people.

And when you are technically passing through, but have to enter the
country to get to the ship...

Funny, the artist that was going with me had no trouble, apparently
paint brushes and airbrushes are not tools. Her Majesty had my tools
tied up for about 16 hours until the ship could get them cleared...

I had a lot of things to ask the customs people about if I were a writer
or a philosopher would they have taken my laptop and/or my brain? But I
know better than to argue with the cop at the side of the road, So I
took the receipt and handed the problem off to the people who hired me.
"I need my tools, go get them." Next time I fly into the Bahamas,
I'll use a suitcase instead of the Pelican box.

Stuart