Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Bushco Wins Another One

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:43:51 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Buerste" wrote in message
. ..

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"RB" wrote in message
Cliff wrote:
Happy days for wingers !!!

The US now has the lowest HS graduation rates of any
industrialized/Western nation in the world !!!

Great education plan !!!
Way to go, Team Winger !!!

You friggin' idiot! Bush is not responsible for everything bad that
happens, unless you also give him credit for all the good.
And that ain't going to happen.

It's liberalized education and welfare programs that get the blame for
our uneducated masses. If your Obama wet dream comes true, expect
more
of this.

Bush's "No Child Left Behind" was going to improve education for
everyone, and now the graduation rates are *dropping*.

NCLB is a stupid program from a guy who got C's in college. It's
exactly
what we should expect from a neocon who claimed that education was one
of
his top two priorities, before the 2000 election. The stupidity on our
part was in believing he knew what he was talking about.

Tell us, RB, how "liberalized education" has led to reduced graduation
rates. If it's liberalized, the logical conclusion is that everyone
should be graduating.

--
Ed Huntress

Education should be a State thing.

Why? All of the countries that are beating our pants off in education are
national systems. There's plenty of evidence around that our LACK of a
national education system is a big part of our problem. You can find
studies
on ERIC.

The department of education should set standards.

Why? If they're setting standards, what advantage is it to then have the
system run at the state level? All you get from that is arguments,
unfunded
mandates, and endless political infighting. That's what we have now,
especially with NCLB. It's a completely dysfunctional system.

The democrats systematically destroyed the family unit and wonder why
education plummeted and crime is high.

Well, destroying the family unit is not part of their party platform
anymore. According to John McCain, it's now socializing our economy. That
was AFTER he voted to have the federal government take an equity stake in
the country's largest banks. g

Conservatives speak with forked tongues. That must come from constantly
spewing bull****.

Part of the problem today is that we have no unity of language or
culture. Wew are bending so far over backward to promote "diversity"
that we are failing our students. We have to teach in languages other
than English, have to teach about other cultures, etc. We need to
establish English as the official language (and that is usually
blocked by the Democrats) and stop worrying about the culture of the
immigrants and start worriying about our own. Trying to teach
immigrants in their own language is ridiculous and should be stopped.
Spend the time, energy and money on teaching our own kids in English.
If the immigrants want to come here they should learn OUR language,
not the other way around.

I've been asking people for years how teaching in another language causes
discipline problems, or how it leads to us "failing" our students. Nobody
has been able to give me an answer. Do you have an answer?

As I said in an earlier message, Jim, everyone has a scapegoat, or a
strawman, on whom to blame all of the problems. Most of them don't make any
sense. The connection between teaching other cultures (they called it
"geography" when I was in school, and they did a stinking job of teaching
it) and problems in schools are nonsense. Where is the connection? How does
it lead to problems?

There are problems with education, but the fundamental ones are problems
that no one likes to hear. The biggest problem is parents who don't teach
their kids the importance of education, or instill in them a sense of
necessary authority. The second problem is that we don't take education
seriously ourselves. Mostly we give it lip service. (It isn't education we
value, it's degrees and diplomas.) The third is that our culture assumes
that teachers are losers -- so we get losers for teachers.

There's enough real trouble to go around without making stuff up.

--
Ed Huntress