Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Water pressure regulator

Big Al wrote:
"engwar" wrote in message

I was told recently I should have a water pressure regulator installed
as my pressure is too high.

We live in a two story house and some of the faucets on the second
story seem to have low pressure (or low flow rate.)

My questions are.

Will the faucets and shower-heads that have low pressure on the second
story get even worse after a pressure regulator is installed?

If the low pressure or flow rate on those faucets is due to the fact
that they are old and corroded I can see how the issues we're having
with those may not be affected by a pressure regulator.

Thanks.

How high IS the water pressure? You can buy a tester at Home Depot. If you
mess with cars and have a compression tester, you can stuff the rubber end
in the faucet and check it. Or, how's the flow at the downstairs faucets?
It's easy to test the upstairs faucets, just turn off the angle valve and
disconnect the pipe and check the flow right at the valve. If it's an old
house the angle valves could be stuck or you may cause a leak. Old pluming
is always something better off left untouched

If you lower the pressure, the water flow is going to slow down. That's a
given. Some of the new "low flow" faucets are really slow. The school I work
at has some that flow about a quart a minute. Cuss them every time I fill
the coffee maker.

Al

Apart from flow restrictions, the pressure difference between floors is
(for a 10 ft elevation difference) only 4.3 psi. Not enough to make
much of a difference.