Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Sprinkler line question

wrote in message
On Oct 24, 8:28 am, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 24, 1:04 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

I have a few busted sprinkler heads so I decided to dig a trench along the
line and examine the line. I was amazed that in a stretch of 60' the pipe
went from 1-1/2" diameter to 3/4" to 1" then back to 3/4" as it goes
downstream. I think over the year sections of pipes were being repalced or
modified.

I assume the changes in the diameters like this would cause unnecessary
pressure loss or even un-uniform pressure for each sprinkler head on that
line? So I am planning to replace them all with a long stretch of pipe with
the same diameter. I am not sure what diameter to use, should I stay with
1-1/2" or reduce it to a smaller diameter? This line runs down the middle
of a side yard about 25' wide and 75 feet long but the run is only 60'. How
far apart should I space the sprinkler heads if I used 360 degree heads?

Another question is at the end of that 60' run is a big tree occupying the
end of that yard, and the root system is such that I cannot trench any
further. I am wondering if it's ok (will there be enough pressure) to put a
big 360 degree impact rotor sprinkler head on the end of the pipe run to try
to cover the area of the tree, but I don't know if it's going to have enough
pressure to run that rotor sprinkler at the end of the line. How can I
determine that without actually gluing up everything to try it?

Google 'lawn irrigation tutorial'. There's a guy who has a great web
site with all sorts of planning information. Your question can't be
answered without more information.

R- Hide quoted text -

One thing is for sure, you don't need 1 1/2" pipe to water a 75 X 25
area. The 3/4" is what would typically be used. So, you can go
ahead and change it if you want. but if what's there works except for
the heads being shot, you're not improving anything, just making more
work.

I went with 1" pipe for all my longer runs. A 3/4" pipe with many heads on it
would have a lot of pressure drop. Unless the pressure is very high, the OP may
have problems by the end of the line.