Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Bill is offline

Default Only Morons Need Apply

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:41:30 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

It would be a very slim chance that they'd have a copy of plans anyway. If
you can find the original builder or architect you may have a slim chance.
I don't know of any towns that save plans for any length of time. Even if
you find the plans pipe locations may have changed when installed anyway.
Plumbers are more interested in getting from A to B and don't care a few
inches either way along the route, nor does the building inspector.

Try a metal detector.

Many years ago I worked in an old university building that had
pipe-in-slab construction. Some major renovations were planned. The
contractor wanted to x-ray the floors to find pipes. The Dean thought
that was too expensive, told the contractor to use the original plans
and blueprints (which were on file). Contractor said "If you say so,
Dean", and started drilling. Immediately hit a pipe that wasn't
supposed to be there.

X-ray company was on site the next day.