Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wfhabicher@hotmail.com is offline

Default hard black plastic?

On Oct 24, 11:18 am, Ecnerwal
wrote:
Bakelite? That's a likely for the car distributor, and is a high temp
and hard black plastic.

Phenolic might work well, but it's not black. It is very hard and a good
insulator, based on several years I spent building plasma physics
machines.

Micarta might also work, depending. I guess it's technically a form of
phenolic.

Probably any of the THERMOSET plastics would work as long as they have
non-conductive fillers. Pick one with a high hardness,

Personally I like the idea of a metallic rim carrying the wire; it is
more precise and resists wear and tear better. An insulating bushing
containing the bearings would keep the magic smoke in.

Wolfgang