Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DrollTroll DrollTroll is offline

Default Soluble oil questions

"Ignoramus28420" wrote in message
I opened up the sump of the cold saw today and was quite amazed by the
accumulation of sediment comprised of old coalesced water soluble oil,
with metal chips.

Drained everything and spooned the goop out as well, and made a new
mix with new oil, but I am concerned about this crap in the sump.

Specifically, will the oil solution (which looks like fat free milk)
eventually separate if the saw is not used often?

Should I replace the oil periodically? (which is dirt cheap)

Well, it's cheap if you don't have to replace it often (from consumption).
Soluble oil is *at least* $20/gal, with dilution varying with
brand/application.

Separation is not an issue, I don't think, cuz even if it does, it should
mix right back up with the pump.

Bacteria is more of an issue. Two methods to use are added bacteriacides,
or fish-tank aerators. Or put the sump on a timer for periodic circulation.

Tramp oil on top may smother bacteria as well, assuming there are no
anaerobes at work.

Chances are if you can't smell it, if it dudn't taste bad g, and it
doesn't make you itch/break out, it's ok. When white soluble turns grey, I
think it's gone bad.

The amc people know about soluble oil.
Different brands are different colors -- none red, afaik.
Usually cream, blue, green.

--
DT

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention