Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low voltage lights.

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:37:46 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I have a digital multi meter from TLC
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TMM3800.html

I had to change some 12v 35w halogen lamps today & one wouldn't work. I

set
the meter to 20v DC & tried to measure the voltage at the porcelain cable
connector. Nothing.

Tried to measure the voltage on the one next to it, which was on at the

time
& still got nothing.

Is my multi meter broken or is a digital meter no good for this sort of
thing? If the latter, what do I need to buy?

Try switching it to AC... :-)

Seconded.

If it's an electronic transformer, you still won't get an accurate
reading, as test meters aren't designed for ~20kHz AC and a grotty
waveform. You should get something somewhere between 6 and 18V though.

--
Andrew Gabriel