Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default Weller Tips ...

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:51:45 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

:Just following on from the thread of a few weeks ago, where we were
:discussing how Weller tips don't seem to last like they used, and then the
:reference to lead-free solder 'leaching' iron from the tip plating, that I
:found on the Cooper website.
:
:A few weeks back - no more than 4 - I fitted a new 700 degree pointed tip to
:my TCP series Magnastat bench workhorse iron. It's on for about 12 hours a
:day, and the Magnastat works correctly. About a week ago, I noticed that the
:tip was already 'waisting' about 2mm up from the point, and today, the
ointy bit just fell off, leaving a ragged eaten-away stump. During the
:three weeks that it seemed to survive unscathed, the soldering done with it
:was predominantly normal 60/40 leaded, using the same solder that I always
:have for more years than I care to remember. In amongst that work period, I
:guess I used it for lead-free soldering perhaps four or five times - maybe
:20 - 30 joints total.
:
:So what is going on here ? Have Weller changed the plating of their tips in
:some way ? Are we actually seeing this iron plating 'leaching' effect that
:they mention on the website, in play ? Or is it that the fluxes in lead-fee
:solder are so aggressive to try to make the useless stuff stick to other
:metals, that the iron plating doesn't stand a chance ? If it is the leaching
:effect, or even flux attack, then it's pretty drastic, if it can wreck a tip
:with that few joints ...
:
:Whatever it is, three to four weeks for a tip, instead of the previous three
:to four months, at least, seems pretty poor performance for what has always
:been accepted as a good quality 'professional' general bench iron.
:
:Arfa
:

I have my suspicions that Cooper no longer control the manufacture of their tips
but use Vanier as their tip manufacturer.
http://www.vaniersoldertips.com/
I remember when Vanier first made Weller Magnastat tips back in the 80's (I
think it was) because I tried one. It wasn't a patch on the original Weller tip
and lasted only about 20% as long before it was eroded. Many complaints went
back to Weller and they apparently found some original tips because they seemed
to improve again - at least for a while.

I noted that the Vanier tips looked just "too bright" and shiny compared to the
original Weller which looked quite dull. I suspect because of the better
quality plating materials used by Weller.

Luckily, I still have a few of the old originals left in stock.