Posted to alt.home.repair
retired54 retired54 is offline

Default Political signs

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
olddog wrote:

Yeah you won.

Not yet. We don't have ALL the oil.

You really need to watch the Frontline episode "Heat". Dude...were
all screwed!

Keep hiding your head in the sand but it's going to catch up with you
or your kids. The earth can only support so many American life
styles. China, India and Micro Indonesia are taking over. Right now
they are going through the same growing pains America is still
growing through. Manhattan, Florida, parts of Texas, New Jersey
etc...are going to be under water. For Christ sake it's already
happening. Something is happening and if we don't wake up and address
it we're doomed. Personally, I hold little hope for the future of
mankind. Call me a kook but the evidence is here now.

Oh, fiddle-de-dee.

So what if parts of New Jersey and other places go under water - we'll
move inland. If we can put up with the population density of Hong Kong,
the entire planet's population could fit in a space the size of Georgia -
and Hong Kong has a pretty high standard of living.

By every economic standard, we are better off putting resources into
adjusting to whatever climate changes come upon us than trying to mitigate
them.

Some people say technology holds the answer. I think we all need to
curb our expectations and learn how to live with less. Conserve,
recycle, move close to work or quit, walk to the store, ride your
bike. We're too damn fat anyway. Keep your appliances turn off or
down. Quit having so many damn babies. We don't have to rely on
technology for the answer when it's our over indulgent life styles
that is the problem.

Conserve is good. Consumer recycling is usually not good - it costs more
to recycle than to discard. Reuse is better. I live in one-half of a
duplex and my office is in the other. I don't have a bike. I'm not fat. I
don't have babies.

Our "over-indulgent life style" is the problem? You have a point there.
Our technology allows us to have an average life expectancy somewhere in
the 70's. Were it not for the technology, we'd live to an average of half
that (which is true for many non-technological societies today still).

I've drastically cut back on my gasoline, electrical and natural gas
usage by keeping lights off and the thermostat up high in the summer
and cooler in the winter. I'm always turning things off and
unplugging things. I walk to the store when possible. But I don't see
anybody else doing a god damn thing. They drive around in their SUVs
like nothings happening. They just don't get it and I don't expect
anything to change

I am pleased that you've done what you could to cut back. That means
there's more for me.

As for "they just don't get it," I suggest there's nothing - or at least
not much - to "get." But, for the True Believer, there IS the chance to
add meaning to their useless lives, something to use as an excuse to mind
other people's business, something (or someone) to hate.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Party on Cowboy. I'll be the guy flipping you off as you drive by in your
Denali.

olddog