Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Remote Control Check

On Oct 23, 3:37*pm, Ron wrote:
On Oct 22, 3:44*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 22, 3:37*pm, Duff wrote:

Wow. *I'm impressed.
*I just learned that you can check your remote controls IR output
using a digital camera. *

You just point your remote control at the digital camera such as a
standard webcam or a standard cell phone camera and push the button.
*It shows up on mine as a white light like an led light when looking
at the image on my viewer screen, yet when I point the remote at my
eyeball, I see nothing.

And I would want to this...why?

To make sure a problem remote is working? Just a wild guess.

To make sure a problem remote is working?

Just because I see a bright spot on my cell phone doesn't mean the
remote is "working". It may be transmitting, but it may not be
changing my channels. I'd know it was transmitting, but I wouldn't
know if it was coded correctly for the device or even sending out the
correct codes if it was.

So, while this test could indeed tell me if the batteries and/or
remote itself was dead, it wouldn't really tell me if it was
"working".

For now, I'll consider it a parlor trick, something to share with the
kids, which I did.