Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_2_] Baron[_2_] is offline

Default Weller Tips ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

Just following on from the thread of a few weeks ago, where we were
discussing how Weller tips don't seem to last like they used, and then
the reference to lead-free solder 'leaching' iron from the tip
plating, that I found on the Cooper website.

A few weeks back - no more than 4 - I fitted a new 700 degree pointed
tip to my TCP series Magnastat bench workhorse iron. It's on for about
12 hours a day, and the Magnastat works correctly. About a week ago, I
noticed that the tip was already 'waisting' about 2mm up from the
point, and today, the pointy bit just fell off, leaving a ragged
eaten-away stump. During the three weeks that it seemed to survive
unscathed, the soldering done with it was predominantly normal 60/40
leaded, using the same solder that I always have for more years than I
care to remember. In amongst that work period, I guess I used it for
lead-free soldering perhaps four or five times - maybe 20 - 30 joints
total.

So what is going on here ? Have Weller changed the plating of their
tips in some way ? Are we actually seeing this iron plating 'leaching'
effect that they mention on the website, in play ? Or is it that the
fluxes in lead-fee solder are so aggressive to try to make the useless
stuff stick to other metals, that the iron plating doesn't stand a
chance ? If it is the leaching effect, or even flux attack, then it's
pretty drastic, if it can wreck a tip with that few joints ...

Whatever it is, three to four weeks for a tip, instead of the previous
three to four months, at least, seems pretty poor performance for what
has always been accepted as a good quality 'professional' general
bench iron.

Arfa

I have to agree with you ! I've taken to turning mine off when I don't
need it for a little while. Another thing I did with a corroded tip
was to drill a 1mm hole and insert a half inch (15mm) of copper wire.
It doesn't last much longer than the original did but you can just snip
off the end and carry on

--
Best Regards:
Baron.