Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Neil[_6_] Neil[_6_] is offline

Default Postcrete - whether to mix in agrigate or not?

"Neil" wrote in message
Hi all,

I use postcrete for setting in posts etc. My own feeling is that it would
be stronger if I mixed in some gravel (ballast). I've tried it and it
works fine - goes off almost as quickly, but I don't know if this is
strengthening it or not. Anybody know if this is worth doing or not.

Many thanks,

Neil

Thanks for all the replies folks. This thread's got so long I'm not sure
where to place this conclusion, so I'm putting it here

Loads of good advice and different approaches here. The original question
was whether or not to add aggregate to Postcrete, and it seems obvious to me
now that if it needed it, then the manufacturers would have included it. So
I'm happy to accept that.

However the discussion on whether to use the stuff in place of the
cement/concrete mix is also interesting helps me at least make some
decisions for the future on how/when to use each. I think for myself I see
both the use of the fast-mix types have a place just as the old concrete
does, but as somebody else (lost who said it now) said it is a question of
quantity for me. If all I need to do is plane a few perhaps short posts
then the quick-mix stuff is really handy. Alternatively if I want to dig in
a line of fence posts then as BigWallop advises I think his method is best
and probably a good deal more economic.

All good stuff guys - many thanks.
Neil