Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible
CanopyCo CanopyCo is offline

Default Possum in the pumpkin patch

On Oct 22, 11:43*pm, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:32:00 -0500, Bert Byfield

wrote:

::The trouble is finding the right cat--most can't figure out how to
::catch squirrels and the ones who can usually get beat up enough
::the first time that they decide that squirrels aren't worth the
::effort.
:
: Training a cat would be darn near impossible, I guess.
: Dan
:
: * Yes, but I had a cat once who learned about rabbits up close and
ersonal, when a daughter kept pet rabbits in the house and yard. The
:cat learned that rabbits are 1) awful (one was in love with her and
:kept jumping her with passion), and 2) easy to beat up (though she
:never harmed a pet rabbit).
: * After a while the cat started showing up with battered dead wild
:rabbits she had caught, and it was easier to keep a garden after that.

Well, I could get a cat and deliver it dead squirrels, which are easy to
find on the local streets. Maybe it would get the idea? I suppose a tom
cat would be better, because they're bigger.

Dan

Use a pump up pellet rifle to shoot one in your yard.
That way it is warm, and maybe even still wiggling when the cat gets
it.
Tie a string to it if it is not moving on it's own power.

A moma cat with kittens will tend to be less picky about what it eats,
and the kittens will chase anything that moves when they are hungry.
A tom cat is going to be bigger, and a good one will hunt the
neighborhood dogs as well.

Try going out into the country during kitten season and ask a farmer
for a kitten that it up and running on it's own.

BTW
Squirrel tastes like chicken if cooked like chicken.
;-)

BTW again
If you put small block of wood on the mouse trap so it will not close
all the way it will just snap and swat but not get packed off by
something to big for it, and a rat trap will take a squirrel.
You can tie it to a stake if you want so that nothing can drag it off.

You can also tape a wire or something like that to the swatter of the
trap and it will swing around better, making it freak them out more.

Wire cones sounds like a pretty good idea if you are in a town that
loves squirrels but hates cats.

What does an electric fence charger cost around there?
That would be fun watching a squirrel hit that.
;-)