Chris Merrill

Default Care for shellac wood floors

One important fact about shellac is that additional coats will
redissolve and bond completely with existing coats. This does not
happen with poly...which is one reason that a floor traditionally
needs to be completely stripped (usually with a sander) before
re-finishing.

In other words, shellac is easily repairable. If you want to clean
up some areas, you might test putting on a fresh topcoat in a small
area (after very thorough cleaning, of course) to see how it comes out.

Can't help with the cleaning...I've never heard of shellac used
on floors...but maybe it was common before my time?

Vince wrote:
If anyone has experience, thoughts or knows of books or web info on
what the best course of action for maintaining and shining these
floors would be I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. (Or what
kind of maintenance nightmare I am in for.) What is the proper way
to keep them clean and if they are waxed what would be the best wax to
use. Also for the waxing, it sounds like you would use a paste wax
and then floor polisher to buff them, is this correct.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info.

Vince

--
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)