Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eregon[_3_] Eregon[_3_] is offline

Default Fireplace doesn't burn very well

rudyeb wrote in news:ab5f9b04-a69b-47e3-896e-
:

I have a fireplace in my CT home and am having a problem getting it to
burn well. I can get it started nicely and it draws quite well but I
use a starter log to get it going. When the starter burns out the fire
dies. I'm thinking that the grate I have may be toohigh so the logs
don't get the benefit of the embers below. Is there a recommended
height a grate or andirons should be above the floor of the fireplace?

Thank you in advance,

Rudy

Put a layer of 1/2" mesh hardware cloth in the bottom of the grate (to hold
up the coals) and use "match lighting" charcoal instead of the starter log.

The ashes will fall through but the charcoal will keep things going.

If you're using split logs, position one large piece at the back of the
grate and another at the front with the charcoal in the middle and some
smaller stuff angled across the two larger pieces.

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.