Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Postcrete - whether to mix in agrigate or not?

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...
BigWallop wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

snipped

I'll second this. And might I add, that you should also paint the
ends of wooden posts with liberal amounts of liquid bitumen, at
least up to ground level. This helps prevent water penetration
into the timber, so you posts last years and years longer than
having them stuck in the ground with no protection.

If this PostCrete stuff is cheaper than making you own Sand Cement
Ballast Mix, then go for it. But I always a good mix of the above
never lets me down. I might give these new fangled things a try
one day, if I feel brave.
:-)

The stuff the OP is on about (IIRC) has a big advantage over mixing
your own..
you dig a hole, drop the post in and fill it with the mix dry.
You pour in water and it sets in about 20 mins.
By the time you have had your tea break you can fit the panels.
I have used it and it is really good if you are in a hurry.

I can see the advantages in its use, but I think the old ways are
still best. Yes, I probably should get more "with it". :-)

We still dig the holes. Set the posts to the levels we want.
Support the posts with timber struts. Fix the panels Etc. Make
sure everything is the way it should be. Then we mix our batches
and pour the 'Crete in the holes.

With Postfix or Postcrete you don't need the struts, you don't need
to mix.

Doing the posts individually takes forever. Isn't it best to build
your fence, then fix the posts in place at the end. Our fences,
around the several out-buildings we have had to create, are still
standing after, roughly, twenty years. The only things we've had to
replace is the gate hinges and a few padlocks.

No, its qucker! Fix first post, by the time you have carried the
panel over & had a fag its ready. Use the panel to mark next post
hole etc. Its much faster.

Two eight foot strips with holes in them at six foot + a post width
screwed to the fixed post and the next one to keep it parallel makes
it even quicker as you only need to level one way.

Indeed. A story pole. Never thought of using it for fences. Ta!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk