Posted to alt.home.repair

Default is it always better to use a thicker filter in furnace?

ransley wrote:
On Oct 22, 9:29 pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
james wrote:
My furnace was installed with a 16x20x1 pleated filter.
It looks like there is enough space to fit a 16x20x2 filter. This should
last longer and reduce air resistance.
Is there any reason not to?

Most of the HVAC work me and my brother do is commercial.
Every new installation gets 2" pleated filters because
they simply work better. Homeowners can have large air
filters like Aprilaire Media Air Cleaners installed on
their furnace/air handlers.http://tinyurl.com/yd8tq3
Someone posted that they had a problem with Aprilaire
filter packs sealing so any installation should be
checked thoroughly. There are several different brands
of large air filters and you should pick one that has
media you can obtain from a local supplier.

TDD

Air Bear has a positive tight seal

Oh yea, I found Air Bear on The Internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-a607j2dOo

TDD