Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Microwave turntable direction

"Ron Johnson" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Microwaves do not 'bounce around' in the oven. Microwaves are
directional, that's why you move the food. The microwave emitter
does not move.
On some cookers, that isn't strictly true.
To quote Galileo: "Nevertheless, it does move." Once upon a time,
microwave
ovens had a "stirrer", a fan that "moved" the standing-wave pattern
around
the oven cavity.

Eggzackerly ! One of those references that I gave, also refers to
rotating antennas. Both of these devices for altering the microwave
pattern, are placed in or at the exit of the waveguide, which by
definition forms part of "the emitter".

Remember those old Philips machines? where the magnetron was at the bottom
and fired the magic rays into an aluminium 'fan' which was mounted beneath
the glass floor of the oven. the reflector was propelled by the draught
from the magnetron cooling fan whereupon the microwaves were reflected
upwards through the glass floor of the cavity and onwards and upwards into
the food.

Ron

Never saw one quite like that, but I guess that rotating 'reflector' is the
same principle as the motor driven 'stirrer'

Arfa