Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Postcrete - whether to mix in agrigate or not?

wrote in message
It's probably formulated ideally for what it's intended. Are you
having problems with it cracking/failing?

Making up your own concrete in a mixer and vibrating it in situ would
probably considerably strengthen it, but I wouldn't bother unless it
was necessary.

The advice I had from the fencing company was "dig your holes as deep
as possible, and aim to have a big lump of concrete down the bottom".

Worked fine for my 2m tall fences in an extremely windswept fenland
location - still perfectly vertical several years later.

I'll second this. And might I add, that you should also paint the ends of
wooden posts with liberal amounts of liquid bitumen, at least up to ground
level. This helps prevent water penetration into the timber, so you posts
last years and years longer than having them stuck in the ground with no
protection.

If this PostCrete stuff is cheaper than making you own Sand Cement Ballast
Mix, then go for it. But I always a good mix of the above never lets me
down. I might give these new fangled things a try one day, if I feel brave.
:-)