Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Postcrete - whether to mix in agrigate or not?

Neil wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Neil wrote:
Hi all,

I use postcrete for setting in posts etc. My own feeling is that it
would be stronger if I mixed in some gravel (ballast). I've tried it and
it works fine - goes off almost as quickly, but I don't know if this is
strengthening it or not. Anybody know if this is worth doing or not.

Many thanks,

Neil

My feeling is that all forms of postcrete and even halfway properly made
concrete are so massively over the top in terms of strength in this
application, there is no point.

(A while ago I posted ha! that I had used half a bag of quite old
postcrete and it had set like granite. Stuff in good condition is likely
to be even stronger.)

The only reason I can see to add gravel/stones/whatever would be when
trying to be a cheapskate and extending one bag to fill several holes.

I'm just comparing it to ordinary concrete and wonder why it doesn't need
gravel when ordinary concrete does.
If it would make it stronger than I'd mix some in.

I have used both forms of postcrete (though I'd guess that is a trade
mark of some sort). Both worked. (Only a few holes - I don't have
'industrial' level experience!)

My feeling is that the sort without stones is a way of using up fines
from quarries/beds which are not suited to other uses for some reason.
Further, I'd hazard a guess that they have adjusted the mixture to be as
cheap as possible to make whilst retaining effectiveness. Either will
end up extremely hard and strong by the time it has fully cured.

I would not expect adding anything [1] to be helpful except, as already
stated, in allowing a bag to fill more holes. The last lot I used
expressly suggested putting broken bricks, etc. into the hole for larger
posts so that the claimed posts per bag could be achieved for any size
post and hole.

[1] I guess water is needed. :-)

--
Rod