Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Postcrete - whether to mix in agrigate or not?

"Rod" wrote in message
Neil wrote:
Hi all,

I use postcrete for setting in posts etc. My own feeling is that it
would be stronger if I mixed in some gravel (ballast). I've tried it and
it works fine - goes off almost as quickly, but I don't know if this is
strengthening it or not. Anybody know if this is worth doing or not.

Many thanks,

Neil

My feeling is that all forms of postcrete and even halfway properly made
concrete are so massively over the top in terms of strength in this
application, there is no point.

(A while ago I posted ha! that I had used half a bag of quite old
postcrete and it had set like granite. Stuff in good condition is likely
to be even stronger.)

The only reason I can see to add gravel/stones/whatever would be when
trying to be a cheapskate and extending one bag to fill several holes.

I'm just comparing it to ordinary concrete and wonder why it doesn't need
gravel when ordinary concrete does.
If it would make it stronger than I'd mix some in.