Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default Fireplace doesn't burn very well

rudyeb wrote in news:ab5f9b04-a69b-47e3-896e-
:

I have a fireplace in my CT home and am having a problem getting it to
burn well. I can get it started nicely and it draws quite well but I
use a starter log to get it going. When the starter burns out the fire
dies. I'm thinking that the grate I have may be toohigh so the logs
don't get the benefit of the embers below. Is there a recommended
height a grate or andirons should be above the floor of the fireplace?

Thank you in advance,

Rudy

You can either leave a bed of ash under the grate [~1"-2" below the grate]
or use andirons that keep the logs about 1 1/2" above the "floor" of the
fireplace.

For a grate, you can also put a layer of sand under it.

Most grates hold the wood rather high and you want the coals to be just
below the grate.

A good layer of kindling between 2 logs can also help IF you light them
from underneath the grate. They'll provide the coals to keep the logs
burning.