Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] matthew.larkin@gmail.com is offline

Default Typical Household Electricity Usage ?

On Oct 22, 7:35*pm, robert wrote:
wrote:
On 21 Oct, 18:24, wrote:
I have just received an electric bill that suggests my daily usage kWh
(over 100 days) is 37 kWh a day ?
(British Gas)

We have gas central heating - no electric heaters.

Two bedroom detached house - two adults one baby.

Washing machine/dish-washer on probably an hour each five times a
week.

No other excessive high power stuff in the house....(computer 200W on
all day = 4.8 kWh day)

Dodgy meter ? Or next door are wired in...

Phil

A quick search shows average electricity usage per household in the UK
is estimated at anything from 2500 to 5500kWh per year, so range would
be 6.8kWh per day to 15kWh per day. *Seems your consumption is very
high!

Matt

Older fridges and freezers can help push the consumption up .
How do you dry the washing during the wet weather ?
Take readings everyday and go round switching things off as suggested

(Summer 12Kwh per day winter 20 kwh per day - 3 storey town house with
poor natural lighting.)

We've got the combi in a utility room with a radiator, and an airer on
pulleys in that room. Clothes dry even quicker in the house on that
airer in winter than in summer, so even less need to use the tumble
dryer. SWMBO uses the tumble dryer only on wet summer days when the
heating isn't already on in the house.

The appliances are A or A+ rated too, which helps. I guess we use
quite a lot of gas to compensate for the electricity as the house is
badly insulated (limited double glazing, single brick construction
1905 house).

Matt