Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
joel joel is offline

Default Magic toolbox

In article ,
Stuart Wheaton wrote:

SteveB wrote:
If you were going to a foreign place, what extra specialty tools would you
take? I know it would depend on what you were to work on, but I'm talking
specialty items that one needs just every so often ..........

Things like .......... continuity tester. Pair of Klein dikes. 3/8" drive
Allen heads. psi gauge. stuff like that

This would depend greatly on what country you were going to and what you
planned to do there....

If you are talking Europe, take the tools you know you'll need, and if
you find you forgot something, just go to the hardware store... I've
worked in Finland, Germany, Netherlands, France, England and Portugal
and never had trouble finding the odd things we forgot...

If you are headed down to the islands, hope you've got enough spares to
make San Juan, St Thomas, Ste. Maarten, or Curacao...

Stuart

I saw safety/baling wire in there somewhere, but I can't believe no one
has mentioned duct tape yet. or is it just so obvious that it didn't
need to be mentioned? I would also include a couple of tubes of
epoxy/JBweld.

After cracking a clutch cover on my KLR motorcycle in the middle of the
panamint mountains, and having to pour in a couple of quarts of oil and
praying i could ride the bike 35+ miles before the oil dropped down to
far... lets just say that i carry some JBweld with me... thank god my
buddy didn't have to towrope me out of that canyon. he still needed to
do it on the flats for about 5 miles anyway.

if you want to make a decent "survival" toolkit, go check out ome of the
adventure motorcycling forums. you'll see all sorts of neat ideas for
stuff to bring.

--J

--
remove "xxxnospamxxx" to reach me