Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default 3 phase - where to start?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
nightjar cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
Could you not keep all the GP sockets and lighting on one phase -
given in most of this sort of workshop the majority of the load will
be hard wired?

I'm used to factories where the lighting load needs to be balanced
across phases, let alone the single phase socket outlets.

Yes - I can see that. But in a large building it would be fairly easy to
group stuff to minimise the risk of having adjacent outlets on different
phases?

In one factory I had, the vast majority of single phase sockets served a row
of individual work benches along one wall. As the benches were 1.8m long, it
was necessary to have a couple without sockets - fortunately not difficult,
as they carried hard-wired machinery used by all the instrument makers..

Colin Bignell