Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch[_2_] Tom Veatch[_2_] is offline

Default I need help buying blades for miter saw and table saw.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:12:22 -0700 (PDT), "

My miter saws works exactly like a circular saw. So does my radial
saw. Once they are through the material's thickness, they are cutting
up, with the teeth making the clean cut from bottom to top. Hence the
clean cut on the good side down, and the splinters coming up where the
blade exits the wood.

It would be the reverse for the table saw, though.

Robert

It's been a while since I've used a RAS, but as I recall, the blade
spun such that the edge closest to the operator moves down. If the saw
is used by making the cut on the pull stroke, then the blade is moving
down as it enters the cut. In that case I'd expect the least
splintering on the upper surface. If it's used like I use my slider,
cutting on the push stroke, the blade is moving up or very nearly
parallel to the surface as it enters the cut and I'd expect the
cleaner cut on the bottom side.

My only experience with a non-sliding miter saw is with abrasive
wheels on metal cutting chop saws so I can't speak from any experience
with type of saw cutting wood. But as I envision it, with that type
saw, I'd expect that part of the work closest to the fence to see a
cleaner cut on the bottom and any part of the work on the operator
side of the blade center to see a cleaner cut on the top surface.

Of course, that's all theoretical, and the only thing that really
counts is what you experience with your saw, using your techniques.
(BTW, the "you" in that sentence is the generic "you" and not intended
to be any specific individual.)

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA